“O Canada, we [the following 10 food trucks] stand on guard for thee”.
In no particular order:
- 1. Wes’ Chips: Arnprior, Ontario. Fries and more.
- 2. KingBurger: Farrellton, Quebec. Dances to the beat of the meat.
- 3. Susie’s Shortbreads: Halifax, Nova Scotia. Back this summer. Cupcakes.
- 4. Grumman78: Montreal, Quebec. Mobile Tacos.
- 5. The Ice Cream Cart: Oshawa, Ontario. Ice cream.
- 6. The Best Fries in Town: Ottawa, Ontario. French fries and mobile poutine.
- 7. Shoryumen Ramen Truck: Richmond, British Columbia. Customized Ramen.
- 8. The Original Bavarian Bratwurst Wagon Co.: Toronto, Ontario.
- 9. Japa Dog: Vancouver, British Columbia. Regular hotdogs, Japanese style hotdogs and veggie takes. Buns up.
- 10. Red Fish Blue Fish: Victoria, British Columbia. Seafood. Delicious fish. It appears to be more of a stand than a mobile eatery. True/false? Perhaps they’re newly mobile?
For those who have not done so already, please craft a website.
For the Crave Online article, click here.
- New Truck in Town: Truck Norris
- Cuisine: “Hawaiian Filipino Grub”
- Some Mains: ribs, sesame chicken, garlic shrimp, pork belly sisig, bistek, sisig tacos, sheppard’s pie, TNT burger, Philly-pint bistek burrito, and more.
- Dont-leave-without-trying-it dessert: Lumpia Smores: “Lumpia filled with milk chocolate and marshmallows and served with milk chocolate sauce and graham cracker crust.”
The website went live today. Pre-launch party two days ago for family and friends. This roundhouse kicking purveyor of Hawiaiian Filipino eats is taking it to the streets in the near future. Stay tuned for more details.
(both photos taken from followtrucknorris.com)
For more information: http://followtrucknorris.com/about/. Check out the truck’s twitter & facebook.
Some notable upcoming SoCal food truck festivals coming up in April-May:
- May 7: San Diego Food Truck Festival: San Diego, CA/ Del Mar Fairgrounds.
- May 14: Santa Anita Food Truck Festival: Arcadia, CA/Santa Anita Park/$5.00. Featuring a “prominent group of food trucks”, including “The Grilled Cheese Truck, The Lobsta Truck, Ragin Cajun, Canter’s, Border Grill, Shrimp Pimp, and many more.”
- May 15: Valencia’s Gourmet Food Truck Fest and Classic Car Show: Valencia, CA/Valencia Auto Center on Creekside Road. Featuring: Ahn-Joo, Lake Street Creamery, Barbie’s Q, George’s Greek Cafe, Fresh Fries, Greenz on Wheels, The Hungry Nomad, No Reservations Catering, Vizzi, Rokyo, Frysmith, Pita Pusher, KrazyBBQ, Yummy One, Shrimp Pimp, White Rabbit, Tapa Boy, Rosa’s Bella Cucina, Ludo Truck…and others.
Take a look at those fancy icons:
For LA TruxMap, go here.
- Truck: Grilled Cheese Truck
- Location: UCLA Court of Sciences
- Date/Time Visited: Wednesday, April 13 @ 11:30am
- Wait Time: ~40 minutes (starting at 11:30… line got considerably longer around noon)
1/2 of the Meal + Signature To-Go Baggie:
Get in there:
- Gruyere + Caramelized Onions: $4.50 + $.75. Specs: Good amount of gruyere + a hearty serving of caramelized onions melted together between two spot-on slices of grilled french bread, served in a to-go baggie. Verdict: Lineworthy. Moreover: No mystery why the Grilled Cheese Truck draws one of the longest lines in the LA scene… it sings to your comfort food core while offering mature takes on one of America’s childhood staples.
Purveyor of Fine Eats:
Check ‘em out!: www.thegrilledcheesetruck.com
Coming soon… but before the fine NYC hot dog establishment builds its local brick & mortar castles it will send mercenaries in the form of a hot dog truck to dish out free dogs for the months of April and May. (Hey Gray’s Papaya, how you gonna top that?)
For more info, click here.
HEY ORANGE COUNTY-Truck it for a great cause:
- Thursday, April 14 from 5:30-8:30pm at Central Park West.
- Gate Pass: “Access to the gourmet mobile dining area and 20 gourmet food trucks” + some free Smart Water.
- VIP Pass: What you get in a gate pass + “Swag Bag with cool stuff” + “Complimentary on-side valet parking” + “$5.00 in Truck Cluster Food Bucks”.
- NOTE: If you register for the Walk to End Alzheimer’s and raise money you get into the food truck area for free.
- Opportunity Drawing Tickets: My guess is that these are raffle tickets, available as single tickets ($3.00) or in packs of 10 ($20.00).
- For more info on tickets, go here.
19 Listed Trucks:
For more information, click here.
Get over there! It’s for a great cause!
- Truck: Border Grill
- Location: Anderson School of Business, UCLA
- Time Visited: Tuesday, April 12 @ 11:40am
- Wait Time: ~ 10 minutes
Wait for it…
Get in there:
- Carne Asada Quesadilla: $5.00. Specs: Mouthwatering, fresh-off-the-grill hunks of steak + a happy family of cojita, manchego and panela cheeses on a perfectly crafted, handmade flour tortilla. Verdict? Far from borderline, I’ll mark this down as one of my top food-truck eats … a grand slam in flavor, texture and construction. Although Border Grill’s portions aren’t exactly massive, this quesadilla was worth every penny. A kiss-your-wife & call-your-friends moment. Next time with guac.
Purveyor of Meaningful Eats:
Check ‘em out!: http://www.bordergrill.com/bg_t/bg_twel.htm
- Truck: Nom Nom Truck
- Location: UCLA’s Anderson School of Business
- Date/Time Visited: Friday, April 8 @ ~1:20pm
Get in there:
- Lemongrass Chicken Banh Mi: $5.00. Specs: Marinated chicken + fresh veggies on a nice, fresh baguette. NomNom v. Phamish: Some say that Nom Nom should win, but I baguette to differ… I’m siding with Phamish for its lipsmacking flavor, crisp vegetables, and ultra-fresh baguette. But kudos to Nom Nom for its name, variety of cult-following sauces (see below), and for accepting credit cards through Square.
Cult Following Sauces:
Purveyor of Fine Eats:
Check ‘em out: http://nomnomtruck.com/